This past weekend we laid a great man to rest with a military burial. We didn't realize it before hand, but when we arrived at the cemetery and saw the two airman standing watch over Dad's flag draped casket, we realized that this was the important part of saying good bye to him. The other funeral, with visiting hours was more something he would have tolerated and done for the benefit of others, but this was the service that was important to him. I wish that I would have thought to take a picture of the beautiful scene, but instead it will instead be a memory that I will be able to cherish and an awesome way to remember my Dad.
As we were walking to the burial site I immediately realized that there had been a loop-hole in how we prepared the kids for this event. They all seemed to have an appropriate understanding of what was to happen and why we were there... everyone except Audrey. We had a few minutes of her being inconsolable because she thought we were there for Grandpa to "wake back up". It was heartbreaking. It was a beautiful day out to allow us a final goodbye and have another gathering to share memories of such a kindhearted, loving and thoughtful man who we miss more with every passing day.
We spent the rest of the weekend eating lots of great food, visiting and even took a trip for Caribou's town wide yard sale with Nannie, Aunt Amy, Trey and Lily. We stocked up on ice skates, hiking boots and other winter gear. Gabe really got into the yard sales and we eventually got him to admit that he was having fun... right after I stopped him from buying 3 or 4 of the same shirt;)


No comments:
Post a Comment