Thursday, May 14, 2020

Bald Mountain and the Saddleback Wind Trail






After last week's "easy" hike to Reed Brook we were ready to take on one of our favorite hikes, Bald Mountain in Weld.  We love this hike because it is just about a mile to the top with amazing views, but the hike is straight up for some great exercise.  I quickly realized that the kids had reached an exciting place for hiking endurance this year.  We made it up the trail very quickly with almost no stops.  Each time we hike, Ben begs us to continue on to see the windmills on the Saddleback ridge trail (an additional 1.5 miles one way). This year was no different.  The kids were only mildly excited, but since the first part of the trip went so quickly and easily I thought there wouldn't be a better time, especially since the bug weren't out yet this year... 

I am sure the rest of this story is fairly predictable... we got about halfway and people started to complain that the trail was too long and were getting tired... I will spare the details, but it is pretty easy to imagine. BUT when we finally made it everyone was really impressed to see the windmills from this perspective, and so close!  Not impressed enough to continue down the trail to see the bases, but still impressed. Although tired everyone did an awesome job on the way back and I was so thankful for this "peak experience" or none of us would have made it back;) When we did finally reach the bottom the kids were really proud of themselves and ultimately glad they did it.  I had to promise no more "unscheduled" extensions of our hikes.... Understandable since we were all mentally prepared for a 2 mile hike and came out having hiked over 6 miles... oh well!

No comments: