On Wednesday we headed back north with intention to make the entire trip in one day. We made our first stop at the Bronx Zoo. Gabe really had wanted to go to a zoo on this trip, but it was so hot we opted not to, until this day. Apparently on Wednesdays the Bronx Zoo is a "suggested donation" day aka. free day. Great idea and it was free so why wouldn't it be fun to spend the afternoon there and head north at bed time? Well, it was 96 degrees, Noah hadn't napped in 7 days, and the entire city of NY and every summer camp in the area were at the zoo... this is the only picture I got. What parts we did get to see were nice and I think I would go back, but never again on a "suggested donation day" in the summer... oh, and did I mention that they ran out of bottled water for sale and there were no water fountains! As luck would have it though an early departure from there allowed us to be stuck in "minimal" CT traffic, be able to eat at the Cracker Barrel for supper AND, most importantly- SHOP AT IKEA. Lucky for our bank account we got there only an hour before closing so our time was limited, but once again we negated the kids bedtimes, deemed shopping more important, and everyone had had enough vacation by the time we arrived in Portland at 12:30 am.
We spent Thursday in Portland doing absolutely nothing, but unpacking and then packing again. We succeeded in not putting either kid in the car that day and got everyone their naps. On Friday morning, Gabe left for the Civiello Invitational (the annual Civiello family golf tournament). The kids and I headed to my parents house for a long weekend... and the above 2 pictures were all I took all weekend. Our first stop on Friday was to the Pelkey's house for the afternoon to "help" with the yard sale. Although I have really given up on being any help to anyone in that situation with 2 kids;) Noah got to go fishing and do whatever Jacob was doing so he was more than happy. Saturday I climbed Mt. Katahdin with Hillary, Jacob, Jordan and 3 of Hillary's college friends. I hadn't done it in 6 years, everyone was at least 10 years younger than I, and I wasn't sure I would make it, but apparently chasing and carrying the kids around keeps me more in shape that I had thought. Sunday we spent at my sister's baby shower which was a great time! She is having a little boy at the beginning of September- so excited! So ends our vacation... back to reality...
No comments:
Post a Comment