Friday, October 10, 2014

Point Loma and Kids' Camp
















After Legoland we moved to Point Loma and spent Friday exploring the area.  Our new house doesn't have quite as nice of a view, but it does have a great yard and a washer/dryer.  Friday morning we ventured out to see what Point Loma had to offer.  We stumbled upon the Fort Rosecrans Naval base with an absolutely breathtaking military cemetery overlooking the Pacific.  At the end of Point Loma there are beautiful cliffs in the park at the Cabrillo National Monument.  We thought that this would be a quick stop and maybe we wouldn't get out of the car, but we were wrong.  We had a great history lesson in the museum discussing about early explorers, the routes they took and what their ships were like... education wasn't completely lost on this trip;)

We spent the rest of the afternoon at the beach at Coronado.  Audrey really got into throwing the ball around (when Ben would let her) and Noah and James (and Gabe) are really into boogie boarding on this trip... how disappointed they will be next summer to come back to the southern Maine waves;)

Friday evening was the beginning of the real reason we were in California... for Gabe and I to attend the national American Academy of Pediatrics conference.  We thought that this may be a let down for the kids after all of the beaches and parks, but the first night did not disappoint!  The kids camp was like a free for all kid play place.  Professional face painting, caricaturists, video games (only active ones... this is the AAP;)), carnival games, dress up video flip books, and a dance floor with a DJ... I don't think I have to say where Noah chose to spend most of his time.  Not only did Noah dance, but he won an air guitar/dance contest... this is by far the highlight of his trip and he came home with a stuffed zebra as a prize... he has named him Zeeza.  We have some video, I think, and I will have to track down a picture, but it was pretty impressive.  So far so good with an impressive start to the conference for the kids... I am sure staying up late and waking up early due to the time change won't eventually cause some problems...

No comments: