Sunday, December 13, 2020

More Christmas Preparations!

 








I'll just admit that I am not a fan of making gingerbread houses. When the kids were little it was so unbelievably frustrating, things fell apart, things broke, it took forever, the icing wouldn't harden, the candy was disgusting and hard, someone always had a meltdown, etc. Every year my mom would insist on making one with the kids... it always ended the same way until she finally gave up too and we haven't done one for years.  Until this year when Gabe received one as a Secret Santa gift at work. I rolled my eyes and it sat on the counter for a few weeks... the kids kept asking, I kept deflecting... Finally, after explaining why gingerbread houses weren't as much fun as they looked they insisted and I relented.  As it turns out, they seem to have all finally reached an age where they can be patient, not break things, and not cry when it is taking too long or doesn't go their way;)  It was actually fun and everyone enjoyed making this village to add to their Polar Express train set. Now they have big plans for next year's gingerbread village... I heard mention of "home made"...

After the gingerbread village we moved on to something actually fun... cookie making. Since we didn't have to make the high volume of cookies this year for our Christmas party everyone participated with all of the steps.  We even upped our decorating game to include royal icing.  The kids loved it, but we certainly need a bit more practice.

The middle pictures are of the deer super highway that runs through our backyard.  They love to eat the apples that surround our property and don't seem to be worried about us living here too.  The irony here is that our friend, Dave, came to hunt a few weeks ago and didn't see anything.  Theses pictures were more "proof" that we really do have a strong deer population here;)

No comments: