Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Just like our squirrels...











... storing food for winter.  This past weekend Gabe didn't have to work AND we had no plans, imagine that, not sure when the last time that happened was.  So, we took full advantage of that and didn't use the car the whole weekend.  We did get lots of winter cooking/freezing done. As you can see in the top picture, the kids started to get a little stir crazy and had lots of fun playing with the squash- James pushing it in the stroller and distributing it throughout the house, and Noah carrying it in his baby carrier. We cooked: pot roast, oatmeal, baked beans, chili, potato soup, pasta fagioli, butternut quash soup, half a bushel of butternut squash, applesauce, apple pie, bread, stuffed peppers, and froze a bunch of hamburg.  Bring on the winter:)  We still have half a bushel of squash to cook, but all in all a productive time... I think it will be easier next year when James is able to help and not deter the process;)  It wasn't all work though, Gabe took the kids to the playground while I got some cleaning done.  On Sunday we took a walk/hike up to our garden plot and spent some time in the Evergreen Cemetery. We thought going to the duck pond would be fun for James given his love of ducks (it is the only animal he can make a sound for)... as it turns out it was only torture for him not to be able to chase the ducks into the water, so we left in tears. The other pics are of Noah's crazy straw, which James was very jealous of... I left off the one where he tried to reach up and dump the water.  This will likely be the last post before Halloween b/c I have LOTS of work still to do on the costumes, and as I have found, sewing in not possible to get done while the kids are awake;)  Stay tuned!

1 comment:

Sarah Evans said...

Your boys are so cute! How is life going for you guys? We are in MI and surviving...I think that's what you do during intern year right? Good to see you guys!