Benjamin had an amazing birthday weekend this year. He turns 5 on Monday and insisted on two things: a "Mars" birthday party... as in the planet and having Grandpa come to the party. I was heart broken for him when he said, "I know that Grandpa is dead, but I really want him to come to my party". All of the other kids chimed in in agreement and immediately started throwing ideas around to make Ben feel better. We decided on laminating a picture of Grandpa so that he could be at the party. Well, in the days leading up to the party Grandpa has been everywhere with each of the kids. I often hear them talking to him and it is just the sweetest thing. I suspect that this won't be the only "laminated Grandpa" we have and that he may show up at many future events;)
I was fairly perplexed as to what a Mars party would look like, but Ben was so excited when the other kids started planning it with him that it just kind of happened. The kids made the invitations. Ben orchestrated it, Noah cut the circles out of paper, Audrey and I printed the inside and Noah & James worked diligently to draw the surface of Mars, complete with a rover, on each invitation. After that I just let them run the show... we had a "pin Mars on the solar system, a Mars bounce, a Mars obstacle course and a solar system bean bag toss. Ben's cake request was a round Mars cake with red frosting and orange sprinkles... easiest cake to decorate ever! We enjoyed visiting with everyone and watching all of the kids enjoy themselves. We are also appreciative to have friends with kids who wouldn't question why we were having a Mars party and didn't roll their eyes at our kids spewing Mars facts at them all afternoon:)
The day after the party we took Nannie, Grammy, Trey and Lily on a tour of Flint Woods while Dad and Grampy finished up the floor to our new attic space in the garage. Once all of our guests had left we had such a fun family outing playing golf at Wilson Lake Golf Course. The kids did way better than I thought they would. It was a cool way to make Grandpa part of the celebration:)
I was fairly perplexed as to what a Mars party would look like, but Ben was so excited when the other kids started planning it with him that it just kind of happened. The kids made the invitations. Ben orchestrated it, Noah cut the circles out of paper, Audrey and I printed the inside and Noah & James worked diligently to draw the surface of Mars, complete with a rover, on each invitation. After that I just let them run the show... we had a "pin Mars on the solar system, a Mars bounce, a Mars obstacle course and a solar system bean bag toss. Ben's cake request was a round Mars cake with red frosting and orange sprinkles... easiest cake to decorate ever! We enjoyed visiting with everyone and watching all of the kids enjoy themselves. We are also appreciative to have friends with kids who wouldn't question why we were having a Mars party and didn't roll their eyes at our kids spewing Mars facts at them all afternoon:)
The day after the party we took Nannie, Grammy, Trey and Lily on a tour of Flint Woods while Dad and Grampy finished up the floor to our new attic space in the garage. Once all of our guests had left we had such a fun family outing playing golf at Wilson Lake Golf Course. The kids did way better than I thought they would. It was a cool way to make Grandpa part of the celebration:)


















No comments:
Post a Comment