Friday, September 16, 2016

Bugmania 2016 and the Titanic Exhibit









So far the theme of this homeschool year is "field trips".  The Titanic exhibit has been at the Portland Science Center since last spring.  I just figured we would skip it since it seemed unlike a topic the kids would be interested in.  Well, it is still around this fall, so I got a few books on the Titanic and thought we would read a bit about it before we went.  I was completely wrong about this being an uninteresting topic for the kids.  We have spent the last few weeks living and breathing the Titanic.  The kids have really taken hold of this story and have started exploring it in ways I would never have imagined.  We currently all feel like Titanic experts right down to the latest scientific theories about what really caused the ship to be such a large disaster.  Needless to say, the kids were beyond excited to get to see the exhibit.

A few days later the Maine State Museum in Augusta hosted its annual "Bug Mania" day.  The kids all tremendously enjoyed the Bug Man, especially when he let them hold the tarantulas.  In the bottom picture Noah has a really long fiber of silk from the tarantula stuck to his finger.  New this year there was an edible insect table.  The kids had read about people eating insects and been theoretically interested in trying some themselves.  As it turned out, only Noah and Audrey were really brave enough to try some crunchy crickets;)

No comments: